Intellectual Property Licensing Policy
The myFOSSIL portal promotes an open-access approach to sharing data (here interpreted to include text, metadata, and structured data) and media (here interpreted to include graphics, audio, video, multimedia, and other derivatives). Therefore, myFOSSIL requires that content providers and collaborators agree to the following provisions:
1. All information currently in the public domain will remain in the public domain. Neither myFOSSIL nor its content providers will seek to assert any intellectual property right over any public domain materials that are made available through the myFOSSIL portal. Content providers who wish to dedicate media to the public domain may do so by declaring such media as being distributed under the Creative Commons License CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/).
2. Content providers are required to adopt a Creative Commons license for information they serve through myFOSSIL. Except for public-domain or CC0 content, the default license is CC BY-NC 4.0 — Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Public License. This allows users to copy, redistribute, and adapt (transform / build upon) media and data, as long as attribution regarding the source of these data or media is maintained AND it is not used for commercial purposes. See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ for a more detailed explanation of the CC BY-NC 4.0 license.
3. Content providers who request further restrictions on re-use of data or media may select to use the following Creative Commons license:
a. CC BY-NC-SA (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike), which includes both the NC
i. and SA constraints as defined above
ii. (see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/)
4. All data and/or media contributed to myFOSSIL, except data and media in the public domain, must include a field that clearly states the attribution statement to be provided. All contributed data and media must include a field that clearly designates whether the data or media are: Public Domain, CC BY-NC 4.0, or CC BY-NC-SA.
5. myFOSSIL will provide attribution information for all content that it serves. myFOSSIL will also indicate the Creative Commons license attached to each object.
6. Portal users wishing to re-use any content for purposes other than those allowed by the associated Creative Commons license must get permission to do so from the copyright holder.