Brachiopod from Madison group Misson

Homepage Forums What Is It? Brachiopod from Madison group Misson

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Powers
    Participant

I have a brachiopod taken from the Madison group, Mission Canyon member. I am working on species. I’m thinking it is rafinisquina ponderosa  or strophomena vetusta. I’m not sure. I can use some help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Asa Kaplan
    Participant

David, nice fossil. If this is definitely from the Madison Limestone then it is Mississippian in age — far too young to host Rafinesquina or Strophomena. I do concur that it is a strophomenide brachiopod, most likely an orthotetidine.  This article is a good jumping-off point:

https://imnh.iri.isu.edu/digitalatlas/geo/gsa/papers/gsac1p4.pdf

David Powers
    Participant

Hi Asa Kaplan,

Thanks for the link to the PDF. I saw that article before. I didn’t save the article for future use.  I wasn’t sure the age of the limestone. I found this article “Type Sections of the
    Madison Group (Mississippian)
    and its Subdivisions in Montana
    GEOLOGICAL SURVEY PROFESSIONAL PAPER 842”
    This article identifies the area to the mile where I found the brachiopod.  I will now use the linked article you’ve given to narrow the species. I will be looking at the  ones you named to see how they line up with what I have.

Cheers

David

Asa Kaplan
    Participant

For a more extensive list of candidate brachiopods, see

http://ftp.maps.canada.ca/pub/nrcan_rncan/publications/ess_sst/122/122462/bu_378.pdf

Among orthotetidines, this publication lists only Schellwienella? cf . S. alternata Weller, 1914, with some good photos on plate 1.

David Powers
    Participant

Hi Asa I’m looking at the publication.

Thank you

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.