Triassic Pekin Formation, NC- Unknown

Homepage Forums What Is It? Triassic Pekin Formation, NC- Unknown

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

It will take a while to clean, any ideas? It might just be nothing but when I took some of the clay away a familiar shape emerged.

Found in clay conglomerate, Rd Cut exposure of barely transited state back road. Clay conglomerate is basal to red clay and silt stone followed by dark grey shales (organic) suden change to sandatone divides this formation from the Sanford Sub-Basin.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

More photos, sorry for the low quality.

Attachments:

Still no ID, found multiple teeth of different shapes all in line but inbeded deep in matrix.

Attachments:
    Eleanor Gardner

Hmm, this is interesting @alex-rosas! I’m not sure what you have there. You might have to continue working on the clean-up and send in updated pictures every once in a while. Sean Moran @smoran has been working on IDing a bunch of teeth this past week — any ideas, Sean?

Keep up the good work, Alex!

Cheers,
    Eleanor

Eleanor Gardner

Ronny or Victor, would you have any ideas?

@rleder
    , @vperez

Thanks for any input!
    -Eleanor

Hi Alex, @alex-rosas, from the pictures these teeth like structures look like crystallization to me. I see several crystals in different size and shape, something not unusual in concretions like this. If you think that these are fossil teeth we will have to have a closer look under the scope, better images or a single tooth to prove it. Sorry I wish I could tell you something more specific.

all the best

Ronny

Ronny,

Will get it under the dissection scope tomorrow evening. I also will like to send you a photo of the other side of the concretion tonight as it is the cleaner section @rleder.
    Will get back to you.

Best regards guys and thank you!

Alex

Photo 1. This is the side of the concretion I have been working on. Opposite to the crystals. I am out of my home and took it with me on a trip, so pictures are not the best.

Attachments:

Photo 2. @rleder @vperez @smoran @egardner

Attachments:

Photo 3. @rleder @vperez @smoran @egardner

Attachments:

Photo4. @rleder @vperez @smoran @egardner

Attachments:

Hey Alex, @alex-rosas, thank you so much for the pictures. Now I am quite sure that this is a nice example of a gap filling. The gap space was perfect for crystallization of quartz out of a silicate rich fluid. The crystals have enough space to grow and they grow all from the same origin (the edge of the gap) into the free space. That is my interpretation. Any thoughts from my colleagues @smoran, @vperez, @egardner ?

Cheers

Ronny

… ahh and the crystals are hexagonal … characteristic for quartz!

Awsome @rleder! Appreciate it dearly! Will find a use for it and move on!

@alex-rosas, I am glad to help! Keep us updated with more of your stuff. We really appreciate that kind of activity/discussion very much. Thank you!

Best

Ronny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.