FREE 3D Files Available for Education

Homepage Forums 3D Fossils FREE 3D Files Available for Education

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Claudia Grant
    Participant

Guys, there is an entire ORCA in MorphoSource. I have downloaded all the files and started printing. The quality is amazing and the files are also saved by parts of the body, so it is a great tool for whale anatomy. Here’s the direct link to the files:

http://morphosource.org/Detail/MediaDetail/Show/media_id/12791

Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

@cgrant

That sounds terrific!  How big will your complete Orca be?  Can you please post photos when you are done?  Thanks

Claudia Grant
    Participant

Hi @julie-niederkorn, I am still working on my prints of the magnificent orca. I had a technical issue with my printer but now I am back on business. The picture below shows the bones scaled down to 14.4%, which is the size our printer (Makerbot Desktop) can handle. Eventually, I will print a life size model and for that I will use open source MeshMixer in order to slice each file and print by sections. Then I will just super glue them together.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Really excited to see the progress of the Orca, @cgrant!

I was checking out morphosource tonight, and found some fun vertebrate stuff, but I know there’s a lot of invert interest here too! A great resource is geofablab on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/geofablab/designs/page:6 lots of corals, brachiopods, etc.

@jeanette-pirlo
    , think any of these resources would be of interest to the teachers coming to the next Montbrook dig?

Claudia Grant
    Participant

Thanks @llundgren

I will keep you guys posted. Right now, I am producing 2 megalodon jaws for outreach in NM and an art class in CA. Both 3D printers are busy, but the Orca will come to life soon. I really want to create a life size model.

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

Hey @llundgren, thanks for the great new resource! I’m sure we will get lots of interest from our teachers! We get questions regarding inverts often and this is a great website to pass along!  @cgrant we may be able to incorporate this into our lesson plan ideas!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.