Coral or really strange formations?

Homepage Forums What Is It? Coral or really strange formations?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Tibbetts
    Participant

I found these strange tubular fossils pretty high up in a canyon that contains limestone, sandstone and a little granite. These coral or tubular like rocks lined a dry waterfall that ran down a mountain side. I’m not sure if these fossils are some kind of old coral, hydrothermal ventricle rocks of some kind, or maybe even some kind of tufa mound formations. There are some shells and fossils on the corals as well. The fossil formations come in whites, browns, brownish reds, light grey to dark grey. I only posted a few.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jenny Tibbetts
    Participant

I found the fossils in the Oquirrh Mountains in Tooele County Utah. Most of Tooele County sits on the remains of the Bonneville sea bed. I have one more picture to add below.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

Hmm, to me they look like mineral/hydrothermal deposits. Here is a link to a pdf for a USGS publication on the area that does mention fossil localities and has several species lists (no plates or images of specimens though). Keep in mind that the land ownership may have changed since the 1970’s. https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0629a/report.pdf

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.