Micro Bones (Rib? Jaw?) Caloosahatchee Formation, Glades County, FL Plio/Pleisto

Homepage Forums What Is It? Micro Bones (Rib? Jaw?) Caloosahatchee Formation, Glades County, FL Plio/Pleisto

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys,

Need help IDing this micro bones. They are part of more than 20 microbones including femurs less than .5” long. Amphibians?

Sorry forgot pics.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MacKenzie Smith
    Participant

These to me look more fish-like (either ribs or spikes). If ribs, they curve downwards which would mean this fish is taller than wide and was probably not a bottom feeder or dweller. Maybe @vperez or @jeanette-pirlo might know.

Thanks as always @mackenzie-smith I will await their answers!

They where found in the same 1sq foot as this guys. There might be rorrelation? @mackenzie-smith  @vperez

Forgot pics.

Attachments:
    Rachel Narducci
    Participant

Hello,

I believe these are angulosplenials of Anurans. I’m not sure how to narrow down to genus level or even whether it’s from a frog or toad though.

– Rachel

@rnarducci  @mackenzie-smith  @vperez Found the culprit! They are the lower Jawbones of Rana catesbeiana. Given the locality early Pleistocene. See ilustration below.

Attachments:

Other ilustration of R. catesbaiana below, angulosplenials as per @rnarducci coment.

Attachments:
    Victor Perez
    Participant

Hi @alex-rosas

I agree that they are frog bones, but I’m not certain they are diagnostic to the species level. The associated bones found in the same 1ft square might be from the maxilla or premaxilla. I’ll see if someone over in herpetology can tell us more.

Best,

Victor

Thanks @vperez does Rana Sp. is more appropiate?

Alex

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.