Need to ID

Homepage Forums What Is It? Need to ID

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Muhammad Usman
    Participant

is this the fossil fragment of soft shelled turtle ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jack Kallmeyer

@muhammad-usman From what little I know that looks like a soft shelled turtle shell.  @cferrara will know better.

Jack

Chuck Ferrara
    Participant

From what I see yes you can see the bumpy texcture thats typical on the outside of the shell .

Victor Perez
    Participant

Agreed, the texture on the first image is pretty definitive for soft-shell turtle. Where did you find this one Mohammad?

Matthias Beckham
    Participant

This fossil has really been a mystery.i found it in webster south dakota,along most the roads  there are small boulders made of limestone.thats where i found this one.breaking open the boulders.you never know what youll find.ive found many fossils there.but ive never seen one like this.i hope someone can help me.thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eleanor Gardner

Hi, @matthias-beckham! Thanks for posting in the “What Is It?” forum.  Maybe @smoran, @dserratos, or @walter-stein might be able to help you get an ID on this fossil.

Danielle Serratos
    Participant

I’m not able to ID based on the photos but if found in Webster, SD then it is Pleistocene glacial till.
    https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/sgmc-unit.php?unit=SDQlts;0

I would also advise people collecting in this area to be aware of where exactly they are collecting because Webster is very near the Lake Traverse Reservation and collecting there is limited to Native Americans and those individuals who have received permission from the tribe and/or the Native American landowner.

Matthias Beckham
    Participant

I didn’t go on the reservation.all my fossils from webster.all my fossils were collected on the side of the road next to lakes were we fished.they would put boulders on the side of the road for erosion control.thosefossils look a lot older than recent times.is there a chance that the glacial activity brought much older rocks down into s.d.?because there used to be a shallow sea there.the Tetris sea.which is much much older than 65 million years.ive even found ammonites and trilobites in that area.

Evan Walsh
    Participant

intresting specimen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.