STL (3D) Files to myFOSSIL

Homepage Forums 3D Fossils STL (3D) Files to myFOSSIL

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Claudia Grant
    Participant

Hello, I was wondering when we can start uploading STL (3D) files to myFOSSIL? Also, since these will be uncatalogued specimens, I ask if you already have a procedure on the kind of information that will be needed for ID purposes? See first attached image of a horse metatarsal 3D file. 577,411 KB

Looking forward to it.

@bmacfadden
    @smoran @jeanette-pirlo @mjones, @epoirier

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Claudia Grant
    Participant

How about incorporating a 3D rotation of the fossils? Like it is shown here:

@bmacfadden @smoran @jeanette-pirlo @mjones,

Eleanor Gardner

@cgrant – Our web developers, Eric Poirier and Max Jones, are working on our STL file viewing capabilities now.  As you likely know, setting up a Scope of Work and contract takes a while 🙂  They are going into the process keeping Audubon Core and Darwin Core in mind. I suggested they use the Canvasio3D plugin, which enables rotation.

Claudia Grant
    Participant

Thanks for the update @egardner and @mjones. I will let @bmacfadden know about the latest. I have at least 3 fossils ready to go and I am getting a whole box with new ones to scan. This is super exciting!

Jeanette Pirlo
    Keymaster

can that not already be done in the STL files?

Eleanor Gardner

@jeanette-pirlo – You have to have software that enables rotation of STL files. However, you are correct to a degree, as many kinds of STL file viewers come with that software as part of the package.  When I researched WordPress plugins for STL file viewing, four different plugins were available and most of them had rotation built in.  The Canvasio3D plugin had the best reviews and greatest use across many different WordPress sites.

Lance Schnatterly
    Participant

Thanks for the tweets from this weekend’s GSA meeting in Pittsburgh on the effort to enable 3D STL uploads and viewing on myFOSSIL.  I was wondering @egardner if you all have an expected date as to when this feature will be enabled (I wasn’t at the meeting, so this may have been discussed.)

Eleanor Gardner

@lance-schnatterly – those live tweets were all thanks to our wonderful grad student @llundgren!  According to my most recent update from our development partners, AtmosphereApps, the STL functionality is in the alpha-testing phase.  Another grad student, @cgrant, is doing this testing to make sure it meets the needs of the community.  I’m hoping by the end of March we’ll have it on the live version of the myFOSSIL site!

Lance Schnatterly
    Participant

Great!  I am looking forward to uploading some STLs.

Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.