FOSSIL Webinar Series

Homepage Forums Upcoming Opportunities FOSSIL Webinar Series

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Eleanor Gardner

This forum thread is dedicated to webinar-related conversations:
    Looking for more information on our webinar series? Post your query here!
    Have a post-webinar question for one of our speakers? This is the place to ask it.
    Interested in learning more about a topic from one of our webinars? This is a great place for discussions!

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Yes, we are definitely excited about the webinar series! I’ll be posting an image with the schedule on here soon. K-12 educators, take note–you can earn CEUs by taking the webinars (shout out to the educators I know are on here, @mhendrickson, @maggie-paxson, @denise-porcello, @laura-amatulli, @taorminalepore, @afarke, @gsantos, @comalley!) and to those who can pass this along to the wonderful k-12 people in their lives (looking at you, @jbokor, @cindy-kern, @kcrippen, @cgrant, @bmacfadden).
    Got questions for @jayson-kowinsky? You can post them here before, during, or after the webinar!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to give it a listen and participate!

Cindy Kern
    Participant

This looks awesome! Thanks for the information! @carrie-depetris @jennifer-duell @keli-veillette

Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

I’m not sure where our questions for Jayson will go so I will start here…

1. How to you think the internet and social media have effected currentfossil collecting and the fossil world (positive and negative aspect)?

Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

2. What made you start your website fossilguy.com?

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Great start on the questions for Jayson, @joyce-drakeford! Thanks for posting them. Are you going to be able to join the webinar “in person” on the 31st?

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

I have a few questions for @jayson-kowinsky for his August 31st webinar as well!
    1. What are the most useful tools you take when you are out collecting fossils?
    2. What are the most “common” types of collecting sites in the United States?
    Anyone want to chime in with their questions?

Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

I definitely will be! I am thrilled @egardner asked me to write an article for the newsletter! 🙂

Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

All great questions!  Can’t wait to discuss them in a couple days!

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Directions for logging in to the webinar this evening:
    1. Navigate to https://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/_a1130716096/fossil-webinars/
    2. Make sure the “Enter as a Guest” bubble is filled in, and enter your name
    3. Click “Enter room”
    4. You’re in! Ask any question you have, looking forward to “seeing” everyone!

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Thanks for joining us tonight!
    Here’s what’s coming up next

Attachments:
    Jayson Kowinsky
    Participant

Can’t wait for the next one! Go Bruce!

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

Did you miss @jayson-kowinsky’s webinar last night? Or do you want to watch it again to hone in on specific pieces? Here’s the link to the recording: http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/p6w6sl988w3/

@egardner
    also posted it under our Resources tab, accessible here: http://community.myfossil.org/video-tutorials/
    What is something you took away from the webinar?

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@jayson-kowinsky

@lcone

@rleder

@kyle-hartshorn

@gsantos

@taorminalepore

@robertross

@alycia-stigall

@peg-yacobucci

@mgibson

@bdeline

@bdattilo

@egardner

@cgrant

@vperez

@llundgren

Thanks to Jayson for starting the webinar series on such a positive note! At its peak, we had 68 participants on-line at the same time. Way to go Jayson!!

I’m looking forward to presenting my webinar on Thursday, 29 Sept on “Field Notes 101”

I plan to talk about “Why” and “How” we take field notes when we collect fossils. The talk will be geared for the novice wanting to maximize the scientific value of their collections. We will discuss the traditional method of the field notebook as well as the application of simple, modern technology (iPhones).

I always like to optimize talks for my intended audience. Do you have any suggestions, or questions that you would like answered? If so, please enter them here and I will do my best to incorporate these into my talk.

Thanks, Bruce

Lee Cone
    Participant

I am finally back in town and have viewed the link to Jayson’s webinar .  What a great job and successful opener!  Congrats to the myFOSSIL team.  I want to include this in the president’s column in the Sept. Newsletter.  I may have missed it on the website, but does anyone have the list and dates of future topics that I could include?

Also to @bmacfadden:  I would certainly love to help with the Field Notes 101, but need guidance as to what you would want me to do, and can I upload pictures from my field book from Nebraska (stratigraphy) and Cincinnati (Carl Brett)?

Claudia Grant
    Participant

@bmacfadden @llundgren @egardner

can you guys send me a flyer with the field notes webinar to pass to teachers? Thanks,

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@cgrant attached is the general webinar schedule. I am creating the Field Notes one and will have it up by Friday evening.

Attachments:
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@cgrant Here’s a few iterations of the flyer for @bmacfadden’s upcoming webinar on Field Notes. The first one (Field Notes 101 Flyer) is better for distributing to individuals, the second one (Field Notes 101_v2) is better for social media, like Facebook. It fits with Facebook’s standards for amount of text to image ratio, so it can be “boosted” on Facebook pages to reach more people.
    Others, like @jkallmeyer, @kyle-hartshorn, @spassmore, @joyce-drakeford, @cferrara, and @lcone might want these images as well to distribute to their clubs in newsletters and on social media.

Attachments:
    Claudia Grant
    Participant

Thanks so much @llundgren
    I posted on the GABI RET page and forwarded on my FB as well, tagging teacher friends. There’s a lot of interest.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.